Holy Trinity Parish
Our Christian Heritage in Newark
A Catholic church stood in Newark during Saxon times, and probably still stood for the first hundred years succeeding the Norman Conquest of 1066, but of this church no fragment whatever remains. In about the year 1180, the first work started on the Catholic Church of St Mary Magdalene, Newark. Road names such as Friary Road and Friars Crescent are not named by accident but are evidence of a strong monastic presence in the area in the middle ages.
The current Church of Holy Trinity, Newark was consecrated in 1979 and is situated alongside Holy Trinity Catholic Academy, a primary school which was transferred from the old church site on Parliament Street and shares its name with the Community and Partnership Centre, opened in 2005.
The entire campus with its School, Playing fields, Community Centre, Church and Presbytery is the centre-point for the Catholic Community in the area.
Various aspects of Newark's Catholic history are recounted in the parish website. See the link below.
Fr Michael O’Donoghue PP
Holy Trinity Catholic Church Website